Monday, October 20, 2014

Seth Thomas Larkin Model #722 Mantle Clock

This was my first clock that I totally restored.  I gave it to my parents for Christmas and still is probably the one I'm most proud of.  

Its a pre 1900 Seth Thomas mantle clock with a hip movement.  I believe the Larkin Soap Company gave these away if you bought so much of their product or you could save up Larkin Bond Coupons
 proving how much you could order items from their catalogue.  This clock was listed as #722 in their catalogue. 





I don't have any before photos of the clock case.  Back then I wasn't thinking about documenting my progress.   I know that I won it off ebay for $89.00 and add another 19 for shipping.   The finish was cloudy and dull, the incising could not been seen and the ornaments were very dull.   The dial was stained badly.



The works were actually in fairly good shape, some dried up oil and a few bad pivot holes that needed bushing.

 Styrofoam makes a great tool for keeping gears in place and in order during disassembly.   
Below is the finished product.  I added a side by side comparison of a like condition works so you could see the difference.   
Replaced the leather in the striker

Below is the finished clock.   I replaced the dial paper with a coated one, polished the brass bezel and ornaments.  Sprayed the dial with some brass shellac to keep it from tarnishing. Polished the case, highlighted the incising,  and cleaned up the ornaments.   Ready for another 100 plus years. 


Here is a comparison of what it started out like when I first got it....


Here is an old timey photo of this same model in the background on the wall with a clock topper
They must have used Larkin Soap... :)   


Also found it in the 1896 catalog which includes the stamped brass dial option.


No comments:

Post a Comment