Monday, October 20, 2014

ASAHI REGULATOR

I won this clock on ebay a few years ago.  Its a Asahi Regulator, made in Japan around the turn of the century.  Has a trade mark of the raising sun shaped in the form of a triangle.   Says its a 10 ADJ works.  Not sure what that means, but it does have a raised verge that looks like you could adjust the depth if you wanted to.  I didn't have a Japanese clock in my collection so I thought it would be worth the challenge. 

Here is a shot of the ebay ad photo.   Only gave a total of $39 including shipping.   The door was in pieces, no glass for the upper bezel, no pendulum according to the listing (found it after taking off the face)  added bonus... found a pack of sewing needles with Japanese writing on the wrapper.  The clock is 22 inches long and has a 7 1/2 inch dial.  
 The manufacturer's paper backboard is in excellent condition, no high quality fonts used here. 

 I'm guessing back in old Japan they didn't install bushing.. just peened the pivot holes tight if they got loose? 

Not sure what this is, unless its some type of quality inspection sticker 


 Here it is after a good bath, oil, springs greased... on my wall regulating the pendulum.

 I really like the glass in the lower door.  All original.


Have it hanging on my office wall,  I used some finish restorer as not to lose the alligatoring,  Remarked the minute hashes and touched up the numbers, coated the dial with some clear to keep it from deteriorating any more, fixed the lower door frame, and installed a new glass in the brass bezel.

No comments:

Post a Comment